Mid-South Greenprint Inc.
Position Description: Executive Director
Mid-South Greenprint Plan and Vision
The Mid-South Greenprint is a 25-year action plan designed to enhance livability and sustainability
through a unified visions of a 500 mile network of greenways and trails that link together the resources of
the Greater Memphis Area. The regional Greenprint includes parks, greenways, bike trails and walking
paths, byways, blueways, conservation lands, natural areas, wildlife management areas, open space
areas, community gardens, stormwater management areas, and other similar spaces. The scope of this
plan is defined geographically by the boundaries of the Memphis Metropolitan Planning Organization
(MPO) and West Memphis MPO, including jurisdictions in Tennessee, Mississippi, and Arkansas. The
development of a Regional Greenprint & Sustainability Plan will address the need for initiating long-term
comprehensive land use planning in the Greater Memphis Area. Simply stated, our vision is: “A region of
connected communities that are united in creating a high quality of life; a region where the physical and
social environments are sustainable for future generations; and where all people can access abundant
economic, social, and natural opportunities.”
About Mid-South Greenprint Inc.
The mission of Mid-South Greenprint Inc. is to champion the Greenprint Plan, and create new avenues
for community revitalization, environmental protection, economic opportunity, and individual prosperity by
developing the Mid-South Regional Greenprint network of bicycle-and-pedestrian-friendly greenways and
roadways and related amenities. Mid-South Greenprint, Inc. (MSPGi) will be the premiere developer of
bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure in the Mid-South region. As a private, non-profit organization, it will
work with local jurisdictions to advance the implementation of the Greenprint Network by providing
fundraising and project management support. Over a twenty-two (22) year period, MSGPi will endeavor to
raise nearly $140 million, which will be leveraged by local contributions from Shelby County and its seven
(7) municipalities. In time, MSGPi will grow its project management capacity and become the lead on
designated projects and subprojects.
Executive Director Position Description:
The Board of Directors of Mid-South Greenprint Inc. is seeking to hire an energetic and experienced
Executive Director to work with the Board, regional and local governments and private sector interests to
plan, build, market and promote a regional greenway trails system throughout the Greater Memphis,
Tennessee region. The Executive Director (ED) is the key management leader of Mid-South Greenprint
Inc who is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan of the organization.
Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to
the Board of Directors.
- Board Governance: The ED works with board in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading Mid-South Greenprint Inc. in a manner that supports and guides the
organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate
manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed
2. Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support Mid-South
Greenprint Inc.’s mission.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Mid-South Greenprint Inc., to include submission to the
Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the
financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved
budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive
3. Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled
through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of Mid-South Greenprint Inc.’s programs that carry out the
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that Mid-South Greenprint Inc. can successfully fulfill
its Mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of Mid-South Greenprint Inc.’s image by being active and
visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private
4. Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the
operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible effective administration of Mid-South Greenprint Inc. operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and
on behalf of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree required in a relevant field such as planning, design, project management, or
community organizing; master’s degree and/or an MBA is a plus.
- Passionate commitment to the vision, goals and objectives of building a regional trail system in
the Mid-South region.
- Self-starter, motivated to accomplish work program, capable of meeting job requirements.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Five or more years senior nonprofit management experience
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector; proven ability
to fund raise.
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decisionmaking
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task
- Ability to convey a vision of Mid-South Greenprint Inc.’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers,
donors, community leaders and citizens of a multi-county, multi-state region.
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members and other volunteers
- Entrepreneurial and strategic approach to work; takes initiative in problem solving; applies sound
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint. (Demonstrate with
examples of your work)
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Able to function in a fast-paced work environment; able to multi-task and work on several project
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Strong public speaking ability
- Well-organized, self-motivated and independent worker: understands the need to develop weekly,
monthly and annual work plans and to prioritize work on a daily basis. Takes recordkeeping and
file management seriously.
- High standards for professional work delivered on time and on budget.
Actual Job Responsibilities:
- Planning, operation and execution of annual work program and budget.
- Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the
day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Serving as Mid-South Greenprint Inc.’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents,
the media and the general public.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations throughout the state and utilize
those relationships to strategically enhance Mid-South Greenprint Inc.’s Mission.
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy
decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the Foundation throughout the State.
- Supervise, collaborate with organization staff.
- Strategic planning and implementation.
- Oversee organization Board and committee meetings.
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
- Review and approve contracts for services.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
The offices of Mid-South Greenprint Inc. are located in Memphis, TN. The Executive Director will either be
or become a permanent resident living in the Mid-South region. Office space, mobile phone, computer,
and a budget for travel, equipment and office expenses will be provided. Annual salary is commensurate
with experience and qualifications (range: $100,000 to $150,000). Quality benefits package includes
health and PTO.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should send a letter (attention: Charles A. Flink) detailing their
interest and qualifications along with a resume, writing sample, references and evidence of past
work experience that correlate to the detailed responsibilities defined. Email your letter of interest
and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. All letters of interest and qualification must be
submitted electronically. All submittals must be latest version of Adobe Acrobat PDF. Closing date is
September 21, 2018.
The Mid-South Greenprint Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified candidates
regardless of race, color, gender, disability or national origin.